History of DKH
Day Kimball Hospital of Windham County opened its doors on September 1, 1894. It was the inspiration of two sisters, Miss Elizabeth and Gertrude Vinton, who had a vision for the “Windham County Infirmary.” Mrs. M. Day Kimball donated $5,000 for the construction of the infirmary building in memory of her recently deceased son, Day Kimball, with the condition that the institution be named after him. Other Kimball family members pledged an additional $4,000, and with the $9,000 total donations, Day Kimball Hospital was born.
The hospital grew along with the community. Through the years the following additions were added to the hospital campus.
||Southerly Wing – doubling patient capacity
||Bradley Wing – additional patients’ rooms and nurses’ quarters that was safe from fire, well ventilated and free from noise.
||Seldom Burden Overlock, MD Wing
||Nurses’ Home – three story building, which still stands today as Day Kimball’s Community Services Building, was built to provide the nurses with living quarters close to the Hospital. The third floor was used throughout the 1930’s as a maternity ward.
||North Wing expansion – raised the number of beds at Day Kimball from 76 to 90 and included new X-ray and delivery rooms as well as a new coffee shop.
||Dedication of the Community Wing
||Pediatric Center opens
||Day Kimball and Community Health and Home Care formed the Day Kimball Foundation, the beginnings of a comprehensive healthcare network. Hospice of Northeastern Connecticut and Northeastern Homemakers also eventually become part of this foundation.
||Hale Medical Pavilion dedication – includes the Burdick Birthing Center and Surgical Suites.
||Day Kimball HomeCare and Hospice of Northeastern CT officially become departments of the Hospital.
||Establishment of the Physician Services of Northeast Connecticut, LLC.
||Re-branding all Day Kimball brands to Day Kimball Healthcare