The Department of Volunteer Services supports the mission of Day Kimball Hospital by providing service opportunities to community residents, encouraging and enabling them to participate in the activities and work of the Hospital. We strive to make the best possible use of the gifts, skills, energy, time, and commitment of friends of the Hospital through the sharing and facilitation of their voluntary efforts.
Volunteering at Day Kimball Hospital provides the opportunity to:
- Help your community hospital and your neighbors
- Work in a professional environment
- Get the experience you need to make the right career decisions
- Gain work experience to use on: your resume, job applications, college applications, scholarship applications
Learn more about our volunteer programs:
Day Kimball’s Adult Volunteer Program consists of more than 200 caring individuals who share their talents and hearts with the patients and staff of Day Kimball Hospital. Our volunteers assist throughout the entire hospital, performing a variety of valuable tasks, including:
- Gift Shop
- Visitor Information
- Emergency Department
- Ambulatory Care Unit (ACU)
- Business Office
- Human Resources
Volunteer shifts are typically 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, but all individuals with the time and desire to give of themselves are welcome to contact us. Interested volunteers must be willing to commit to a minimum of 100 hours.
PLEASE NOTE: Day Kimball Healthcare does not provide court-ordered community service opportunities.
Who is a Day Kimball Adult Volunteer?
Many of our volunteers are former patients who were ill and received treatment at Day Kimball and/or our affiliated services. Upon becoming well again, these grateful individuals decided that they wanted to do something to give back to others through volunteering at the hospital.
Other volunteers are simply warm hearted individuals, perhaps retired, who enjoy the spirit and companionship of helping in the hospital setting. They know that their work for hospital is important, and are proud of their contribution to ensuring Day Kimball’s continued high-quality healthcare.
Due to regulatory requirements, all volunteers must:
- Print and complete an Application Form (Adobe Acrobat Reader required). Also print two (2) copies of the Confidential Reference Form and submit to two (2) people who are not relatives. They must be completed and returned to the volunteer office before you can begin volunteering.
- Once all three forms are received, the Volunteer Coordinator will call you to schedule an interview.
- If accepted, you will receive a Health Screening form which must be completed by your physician. The Employee Health Department will meet with you to discuss any immunizations or blood work you may require. You will also receive a Criminal Background Form that you must complete and return to Human Resources. This will all be done at the expense of Day Kimball Healthcare.
- You will need to complete an orientation and obtain a badge after completion of all other requirements.
Please return your completed Application and Reference Forms to:
Day Kimball Healthcare
320 Pomfret Street
Putnam, CT 06260
For more information:
E-mail Janet Johnson, Volunteer Services Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (860) 928-6541 ext 2279.
Junior Volunteers at Day Kimball Hospital must be mature, independent, conscientious, and dependable. They must be good listeners and good communicators, and they must follow directions well.
In order to become a Junior Volunteer, candidates must:
- Be between the ages of 14 and 18, and have graduated ninth grade before entering the program
- Attend one eight-hour training day in June
- Commit to one eight-hour day per week for the months of July and August
Every hospital setting has the potential for trauma, as well as emotional and physical distress, not only for the patients, but for workers as well. It is our intent to anticipate situations and to prepare all of our volunteers to respond appropriately. There may be times when a volunteer is in an upsetting situation without a supervisor immediately available. For this reason, Junior Volunteers need the ability to function in a caring, compassionate, and professional manner when dealing with patients and their families, visitors, other volunteers and staff, despite occasional problems.
Applications for the Junior Volunteer Program are accepted from January through March each year. Download and print an application >
For more information:
Contact Alexandra Fleischer (Chase), Youth Program Leader at email@example.com or (860) 928-6541 ext. 2671.
Hospice Volunteers are special individuals who assist a trusted and caring team working with the terminally ill and those who love them. These loving and compassionate individuals provide assistance during times of crisis, bereavement support to family members, and a shoulder to lean on when times are tough.
Hospice of Northeastern Connecticut, is a program of Day Kimball HomeCare. Hospice volunteers are given extensive training in preparation for providing vital moral support and comfort to terminally ill patients and their families.
To apply, print and complete the Volunteer Application Form.
For More Information
Contact Janet Johnson, Hospice Volunteer Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (860) 928-6541 ext 2279.