Criteria for Admission
Hospice accepts patients who:
- Have a terminal illness;
- Have a limited life expectancy of six months or less;
- Have a physician that orders hospice services;
- Have chosen palliative care (comfort care) and are no longer seeking aggressive therapy that is focused on a cure or is life prolonging;
- Understand the hospice philosophy and agree to having hospice care;
- Have a person who is willing to accept responsibility for primary care of the patient in the event that the patient is no longer safe to be alone, OR, the patient is willing to make other provisions for care when they are no longer safe in the home.
A patient can come onto the hospice program with a life expectancy of six months. The earlier the admission to hospice, the more time there is for both the family and the patient to benefit from the services that can be provided by Hospice & Palliative Care of Northeastern Connecticut.
Those wishing to make a referral should contact Hospice & Palliative Care of Northeastern Connecticut at (860) 928-0422 or (800) 664-2442. A Hospice representative will discuss Hospice care with you. Arrangements can be made for a presentation visit in the hospital, in your home or in the hospice office if you prefer. During the presentation we will describe the program and the services that you can expect. We feel that this presentation allows time for our patients and families to consider the services available and to make an educated choice of the service or the program that would best meet their needs. An admission visit can be scheduled after speaking with your physician and receiving consent for admission to hospice.
Palliative Care provides specialized pain and symptom management, emotional support, assistants with navigating the healthcare system in exploring patient and family centered options.
Palliative Care accepts patient who:
- Have a progressive life-threatening illness
- Care may be provided with curative or life-prolonging treatments
- Patients who quality for home care services through their individual insurance benefits
- Focuses on quality of life