Day Kimball Hospital to Celebrate National Patient Safety Awareness Week
PUTNAM, CONN. – Day Kimball Hospital will celebrate National Patient Safety Awareness Week from March 6-12, 2011. This year’s theme, “Are you In? Involved, Informed, Invested…Commit to Safe Health Care” is an important part of Day Kimball’s philosophy in providing high-quality healthcare.
Healthcare providers form a partnership with their patients by encouraging them to participate in their own care. Because open communication is a very important part of safety in patient care, patients and families should:
• Provide a list of medicines, herbs, vitamins you take at home. Ask about new medicines.
• Ask your doctor to explain your illness or condition in a way you understand.
• Ask staff who care for you their name and title.
• Be sure your nurse checks your wristband before giving you any medicines or treatments.
• Ask all people to wash their hands before caring for you.
• Ask for help moving if you are unsteady.
• Always report any pain to your nurse or doctor.
• Tell your doctor or nurse if something does not seem right.
• Make sure all your questions are answered.
Day Kimball has several activities planned during this celebration week to highlight many of the patient safety initiatives that demonstrate it’s commitment to ensure that staff and patients are involved, informed and invested in safe healthcare.