Our patient navigation program is a support service that helps patients, families and caregivers to navigate and coordinate the many services needed in the journey of cancer care. The program works to ensure that all patients receive information and assistance in arranging for diagnostic services, obtaining test results and a diagnosis in a timely manner, and arranging for follow-up care, treatment and support services as necessary. A registered nurse acts as the “navigator,” guiding patients through the cancer care system and working to remove any barriers to help patients get the care they need. Studies show that patients who have the assistance of a nurse navigator have better outcomes and a higher degree of patient satisfaction.
The nurse navigator’s services include:
- Helping patients to schedule and keep medical appointments
- Arranging follow-up care
- Coordinating and streamlining insurance paperwork
- Identifying appropriate local resources and supports
- Helping to identify and obtain elder or child care or transportation if needed
For women who are screening for or fighting against breast cancer, we also offer a specialized navigator program – our Breast Health Program – through our Women’s Health integrated services.
Billing & Payment Information
There is no charge for patient navigation services.
Other Services Integrated with Patient Navigation
Cancer Care: Hematology/Oncology
Cancer Care: Risk Prevention Assessment/Genetic Testing
Diagnostic Services: Diagnostic Imaging (PET/CT scans, mammography, MRI, ultrasound, etc.)
Diagnostic Services: Laboratory & Blood Draw
Surgical Care: Endoscopic Services
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Women’s Health: Breast Health Program
Related Areas of Interest
Day Kimball Hospital: Rose Bove LaRose Cancer Center
Day Kimball Hospital: Campus Map and Parking
Day Kimball Hospital: Financial Assistance
Northeast Connecticut Cancer Fund of DKH
1. Freeman HP, Muth BJ, Kerner JF. Expanding access to cancer screening and clinical follow-up among the medically underserved. Cancer Pract. 1995;3:19-30.
2. Freeman HP. A model patient navigation program. Oncol Issues. 2004;5:44-46.
Oncology Nurse Navigator
Rose Bove LaRose Cancer Center
Day Kimball Hospital
320 Pomfret Street
Putnam, CT 06260
Get Directions >
Phone: (860) 963-3848
Fax: (860) 928-8282
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.