Women, Infants and Children Program (WIC)
WIC is the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children, offered by the CT Department of Public Health and administered locally throughout Northeast Connecticut by Day Kimball Healthcare. WIC provides nutrition and breastfeeding education and assistance to women prenatally and up to one year after giving birth, and nutrition assistance to children up to age five.
What Does WIC Provide?
- Nutrition education through consultations with a nutritionist
- Breastfeeding education and assistance through consultations with a lactation consultant
- Vouchers for the purchase of supplemental healthy foods. Infant formula supplements are also provided for babies who are formula fed.
- Referrals for health care and other social services
Who is Eligible?
- Pregnant women
- Breastfeeding women, up to one year after giving birth
- Non-breastfeeding women, up to six months after giving birth
- Children up to age 5 (fathers and other non-eligible guardians can register eligible children for the program)
- WIC is an income-eligible program, meaning clients are accepted based upon their income. Individuals that receive health insurance through HUSKY A are automatically eligible for WIC. View the current income requirements >
How Do I Participate and What Should I Expect?
To participate in the WIC program, you will be asked to provide proof of income, residency, proper identification, and recent medical information. Please be sure to bring your proof of income, proof of residency, identification and recent medical information (particularly height, weight and hemoglobin) to your first appointment.
Upon verification of eligibility, you will then visit with a WIC nutritionist to talk about your family's diet. The nutritionist will provide educational resources and tips to help you in providing good nutrition for both yourself and your children. Breastfeeding mothers will have the opportunity to meet with a certified lactation counselor.
At the end of the appointment the nutritionist will provide WIC food vouchers for the purchase of approved foods at local grocery stores. View the CT WIC approved foods list >
For more information, visit the CT Department of Public Health WIC webpage >
Contact the WIC Program at Day Kimball Healthcare
Please call for an appointment and to determine which of our locations works best for you. We travel to our satellite offices each week. If we do not answer the phone during our office hours, we may be busy with clients. Please leave a message with your name and phone number and we will be sure to return your call within one business day.
Monday: 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Tuesday and Wednesday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Thursday: 9:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Phone: (860) 928-3660
Fax: (860) 963-6325
Email: Kera at email@example.com
Day Kimball Healthcare
Family Advocacy Center
255 Pomfret Street
Putnam, CT 06260
Killingly Community Center
185 Broad Street, Danielson
Plainfield Family Resource Center
651 Norwich Road, Plainfield
15 Thatcher Road, North Grosvnerdale